2.12.14

a mere coincidence


I've now made these earrings in both 18ct yellow gold and oxidised sterling silver.  They are so incredibly comfortable and easy to wear, I have some of the gold ones and I wear them almost everyday. 


 

 
Upon making them for the first time I encountered a vague familiarity in the form - then it came to me.

Grug. 

Now any self respecting Aussie from Gen X or early Gen Y will know exactly what I'm referring to.  For those who can't quite remember or are indeed not from Australia, you'll be forgiven for needing this explanation:

(Excerpt from Wikipedia) Grug is a fictional character appearing in a series of Australian children's books by the author Ted Prior.  They were published between 1979 and 1992.
Grug began his life as the top of a Burrawang tree that looks more like a Grass tree.  Resembling a small, striped haystack with a face, he is fascinated by the world around him and solves everyday problems creatively and without fuss.  When dancing instructions are too difficult to understand, Grug invents his own dance and calls it "The Grug".

Brilliant piece of Australiana right there.  I think we can all use a little Grug in our lives, solving problems "creatively and without fuss".








No comments:

Post a Comment