25.9.12

heart of stone exhibition

It's a well known fact by mostly everyone I know that I hate hearts. 

Until tonight.

I can no longer say that I hate hearts, only that I dislike the classic heart (especially in it's mass produced, valentine-y, love-sicky, boring-man-who-thinks-any-girl-would-love-to-receive-a-diamond-encrusted-heart-pendant kind of way.)

So, Katie Jayne Britchford has changed me - from a heart-hater to a heart-appreciater.  And that's no easy task. 

Her exhibition which opened tonight at First Site Gallery, showcased an incredible array of the symbol of the heart as we know it and not know it, of many beautiful and rarely seen stones and minerals, and of Katie's very own lapidary stone cutting skills. 



















Comprising of 206 pieces, this vast collection showcased a veritable smorgasbord of stones and minerals, including and certainly not limited to:

Various Jaspers, Sandstone, Volcanic Ash, Chrysocolla, Jade, Slate, Flint, Petrified Wood, Turquoise, Granite, Prehnite, Marble, Feldspar, Fossilised Limestone, Obsidian, Amethyst, Aventurine, Quartz...

And it goes on.



























 



The image above shows my very red dot attached to my very own purchase - a piece of Chrysocolla in Jasper - I think it's the first heart I've ever bought, but I love it cause it kind of looks like an arrow head, very pointy, yes I like pointy. 





 








all images taken with artist's permission





To see more about Katie and her work, check out her blog Kaleidoscope









3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the photos, great to be able to attend vicariously. And I agree with your choice of the pointy heart ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,

    Yes I think that there were a few people eyeing off that one, so I feel very fortunate to have nabbed it when I did! Glad you enjoyed the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) aw, thanks Susan, a nice surprise seeing this on your blog! I'll be in touch soon regarding your purchase ;) good luck for friday, don't be nervous, just enjoy it all!!!! I'll see you then x

    ReplyDelete